If you don’t already know what a hero image is, it’s an image displayed on a website (often full screen) which shows a key function or attribute to a business.
- They allow an immediate impression of what your website is about, in the above example, we can see straight away that the site is about lacrosse/sports
- They look brilliant- I know this sounds a weak reason but as the hero image is often the first thing people see, it can often make a website look modern and engaging as the user is not presented with bucket loads of information.
- You can add “call to action buttons”- Adding buttons to the home screen is great as it allows users to immediately control what they wish to see. We usually add a “Contact” button which helps users come up with a phone number or email address, with only 1 click. Another great reason for buttons is if you offer different services. Some websites will have “for home” & “for business” buttons which help the user get targetted information depending on if they are after services for their home or workplace.
- They can enable you to promote specific products- Imagine you are a furniture distributor hoping to sell a range of things through your website. Having a hero image of a specific product / new product can lead to increased sales.
- They can help you to fit in with the target audience & increase emotion with your website- Our hero has a video taken from “the edge” in Alderly and it shows that we are a local company based in Cheshire- allowing us to connect on a deeper level with our prospective customers.
- It’s often difficult to get good quality high-resolution images if you are a small business on a budget, having a bad image can often do more harm than good.
- Some images are difficult to scale for mobile’s and smaller screen devices- if your key message/product is not in the middle of the image then you will struggle to use the image on different sized screens.
- Loading times are increased – It’s not a good idea to use hi-res images if your target audience has slow internet or older devices.
- It’s the latest trend!- While this is a good thing as your business stays fashionable- it’s important to ensure your website doesn’t look too similar to your competitors.
While we love hero designs, it’s hard to say how long they will stay relevant for. It’s also a challenge to find the right image and if you are on a timescale it will usually be better to avoid them